my experiences in the digital world

Hi I'm Karen Dell and a basis digital learner.  Understanding how digital programes work takes me time and a lot of patience.

I see my journey in the digital world relating to learning as quite a taunting one and one that has at times, been frustrating. I have had the opportunity in work with children with learning difficulties and to support their learning have had the opportunity to undertake training in computer programes, which I was able to manourver confidently, however due to a lack of use in the class my skills were forgotten and the resource was put aside. Just like all learning tools it is important to put them to good use or the skills to use those tools are forgotten.

One a positive note when the training has been ongoing and the programe used I have been able to confidently adapt learning activities to fit the needs of a child.  And have seen first hand how success using different modalities can change the course of a learning experience.  The key to this success has been the clear understanding of the programe and knowing how to adapt and manipulate the tools to create positive experiences. 

On a personal note, I participate in family history research and have found great success in exploring the internet for information on mine and others family trees. Knowing how to look and what key words and information to enter is critical to success, and understanding the systems allows for family connections to occur. It is a fasinating experience to look into the past and find historical data.  Thus I have learnt that interest in a topic provides me with motivation to tackle digital data when it becomes overwhelming and frustrating. There is always the worry you will do something wrong and ruin something. Yet, through experience I am learning this is not the case... most times.

I have chosen this paper becauase I am motivated to support children with learning difficulties. Having the skills to use this important resource will allow me to provide other options to a learners educational success. Furthermore, for me to collaborate with others in the education field I need to be able to work with them on every level.  The education sector requires digital knowledge as children are exposed more and more to the digital learning age. To support children to become global learners we need to understand the global structure of learning.

I have to agree with Amy Lowe from our class as she commented on the loss of skills that come from self correction and problem solving in literacy and numeracy subjects. It seems we are trading skills the question is at what cost?

Though I have almost finished my degree there are still so many study skills and computer skills I have yet to succeed in especially when it comes to creating a database of information.  This course will hopefully help me to not feel so overwhelmed and frustrated when trying new things, but give me the feeling of success as I keep trying to work with different ways of learning.

I hope this is acceptable as to explaining my journey and goals thus far.

Karen



Comments